Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Deal of the Day - 9/23/08

Hello All,

Two TV deals for this morning. One for a 40" one for a 46".

The Sony KDL-40V4100 can be found at buydig.com for $1085 with free shipping. You can find this TV here. You can find a review for this TV here. I used to own an earlier version of this TV and really liked it. I only sold it because we upgraded to a 46" Samsung and the wife made me sell it.

The V series is right in the middle of Sony's offerings. They sell TVs with the following designations M, N, V, W, Z, and XBR. These TVs increase in features from left to right. The W adds a 120Mhz panel, which as I have said before is a gimmick. If you stroll into your local big box store and you can tell a difference between a 60Mhz and 120Mhz, and it is not because the panel is better I would be very surprised. I do not know of any TVs that use the same panel though and offer 120Mhz and 60Mhz in the same TV. Bottom line though, it is the source that matters most, 120Mhz cannot make a really compressed TV feed look any better, or any smoother.

Amazon is selling the Samsung LN46A550 46" LCD TV for $1274.14 with free shipping. You can find that here. The reviews of this TV are good, and Samsung is the leader in LCD TVs. You can find reviewers here and here.

We have the last years model of this TV and really like it. It is a mid range Samsung as well. They show the level of the TV with the first number after the A in the model. This is a 550, the 650, and 750 have more features than this TV. One thing that I really like about our TV, and this TV is the matte screen. The next models up have the glossy screen, but you can get a mirror effect with that screen and I did not like that when I saw it in the store.

These two TVs are more of a mid range TV, and what I bought for our living room. I still stand by the Westinghouse as the best entry level TV on the market. That title would go to Olivia but they just filed for bankruptcy and I would be worried about the availability of parts if they go belly up. Olivia has better panels in there TVs, so if you want to roll the dice on the thing breaking, it is a "better" TV. However if it breaks, you have a really expensive piece of plastic.

Lastly, if you have not read it, this is a good piece to get you started.

Later,

John

No comments: